I talk to Dr Ian Dunican, a sleep researcher who has worked with elite combat sports athletes at the Australian Institute of Sport on strategies to help optimise sleep, recovery and performance and who is himself a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practitioner and Ultra-Marathon Runner. We discuss sleep cycles, optimising training load and dealing with night time jitters after a workout and sleep tracking gadgets like the oura ring and whoop device. Finally, why martial artists try and cheat the sleep system and how instead they can sleep in and win.
- Weighty Issues of Weight Loss and Weight Cutting for Combat Sports with Dr Reide Reale
- BJJ Mental Models of Blading, Tempo & Establishing Offensive Cycles With Matt Kwan
- Unconventional Growth in Grappling & A Universal Theory of Guard With Chris Paines
- Reformation of Rituals Based on Research, Sparring & Self Determination Theory With Priit Mihkelson
- Fusing Sambo Into the Grappling Universe & Unity Over Division With Vlad Koulikov