Notes On Maximum Achievement By Brian Tracy
- Nature is neutral – She gives you back what you put in.
- Fable: Many years ago, in ancient Greece, a traveller met an old man on the road and asked him how to get to Mount Olympus. The old man, who happened to be Socrates, replied by saying, “If you really want to get to Mount Olympus, just make sure that every step you take is in that direction.”
- Sir Isaac Newton is generally considered to be the greatest scientist who ever lived. In his later years, he was asked how it was that he, one man, had managed to make such significant contributions to the world of science. He replied: “By thinking of nothing else.”
- Success begins with you exercising your power of choice and using it to take systematic, purposeful control over the thoughts you hold in your conscious mind.
- By rigorously disciplining yourself to talk and think about only the things you do want and refusing to dwell on those you don’t; want you begin your journey towards the stars !
- To become all you can be you must live more consciously, you must become more alert, more aware and more awake. You must take more control over your own thought process so you move in the direction of your choosing rather than steering blindly on mental auto pilot.
- Every experience is a positive experience if you choose to view it as an opportunity for growth and self mastery.
- Life is a series of events and experiences that are conspiring towards me achieving a great goal and making a great contribution to mankind.
Maximum Achievement – Immutable Laws of the universe:
- Law of Control – You feel positive about yourself to the degree to which you feel you are in control of your own life. You apply this law by choosing consciously to view yourself as an active creative influence in your own life.
- Law of Cause and Effect – For every effect in your life their is a specific cause. Everything happens for a reason, their are no accidents. Specific causes for success and happiness, you reap what you sow.
- Law of Belief – Whatever you believe with feeling becomes your reality. You trigger the law of belief by believing your life and experiences are leading you towards something important.
- Law of expectations – Whatever you expect, with confidence becomes your own, self fulfilling prophecy. Expect to be happy successful and liked. Apply this by confidently expecting to gain something worth while from everything that happens to you. Make your life into an adventure! Go around all day thinking something wonderful is about to happen !
- Law of Attraction – You are a living magnet, you invariably attract people and situations into your life in harmony with your dominant thoughts. Discipline yourself by keeping your thoughts on what you want and refusing to think about what you do not want.
- Law of Correspondence – That your outer world is a reflection of your inner world. Your relationships in the outer world correspond to your “true self”. Your outer world of health & income depend on the inner attitudes of your mind.
- Law of Subconscious Activity – Any idea or thought that you accept as “true” in your conscious mind will be accepted unquestioningly by your sub-conscious mind and your sub-conscious will immediately being work to bring it into your reality. All your words, actions and body language set a pattern consistent with your dominant thoughts and goals.
- Law of Concentration – Whatever you dwell upon, grows. Whatever you think about something the more it becomes a part of your reality. Dwell on thoughts of love, courage, hope, confidence etc and meditate on these daily.
- Law of Substitution – Your conscious mind can only hold one thought at a time and you can substitute one thought for another. This “crowding out” principle deliberately allows you to replace a negative though with a positive thought. This allows you control of your emotional life. Stop thinking about the problem and start thinking about the Solution.
Whatever you want, wants you
- Leo Tolstoy story, tells kids to go into a garden and not think of a white rabbit and they will find the secret to happiness , they cannot do this. The white rabbit is the excuses people use. Don’t make excuses !
- We are all self employed no matter who signs the paycheck. Any company you work for is your company !
- Take full responsibility for all results, successes and failures.
- Holding grudges and anger towards people you feel may have hurt you is the number 1 cause of mental illness.
- The law of forgiveness !
- The inability to forgive lies at the root of resentment, guilt and allot of negative emotions.
- Put your desire to live a good life and have a good character higher than any negative emotion.
- Forgive your parents. Forgive everyone else. Forgive Yourself.
- Overtime in your life you create your innermost convictions of what is possible of you.
Steps to Activating your Subconscious Mind
- Verbalisation – Articulate in words the desired outcome.
- Visualisation – Creating a clear mental picture of what the outcome will look like.
- Emotionalisation – Creating the emotion and feeling of satisfaction and pleasure that would accompany the resolved situation.
- Releasing all concern – While you turn your mind to other things.
- Realisation -The appearance of the solution the achievement of your goal.
The Comfort Zone
- Push yourself outside your comfort zone, Do this consciously otherwise your subconscious will always try to keep you in it.
- If something is worth doing right, then its worth doing awkwardly at first.
- Success = Goals, and all else is commentary.
- Learn to set out and achieve goals naturally.
- Your only limitation is your desire, how badly do you want it ?
- You are equipped with a success mechanism and a failure mechanism. Your failure mechanism is your natural tendency to follow the path of least resistance, your impulse towards immediate gratification, with little or no concern for the long term consequences of your actions. Your success mechanism can override your failure mechanism. Your success mechanism is triggered by a goal. The bigger your goal and the more intensely you desire it the more likely you will be to exert your powers of self discipline and willpower, the more capable you will be at making yourself do the things you need to do to get where you want to go.
- “First Decide exactly what it is you want. Most people never do that. Second determine the price you will have to pay to get it and then resolve to pay that price” – H.L. Hunt, his formulae for success.
- You have to pay the price for success in advance. When you have sown you will reap. Cause and effect. Action, Reaction.
- The Greatest single enemy for your potential for greater success and achievement is your comfort zone, your tendency to get stuck in a rut and never change, even positive, that will get you out of it.
- All growth requires change and change is inevitable. Goals allow you to control the direction of change in your life allowing it to be self determined.
- People who do not have goals are doomed forever to work for those that do.
- The fear of failure is because people do not understand that t is impossible to succeed without failure.
- Success is a numbers game. There is a direct relationship between the number of things you attempts and your ability of ultimately succeeding.
- It took Thomas Edison 11,000 experiments before he discovered the carbon filament for the light bulb. A journalist once asked him why he persisted, he said “you do not understand the way the world works, I have successfully identified 5000 ways that will not work, that just puts me 5000 ways closer to the way that will work”.
- Vince Lombardi once said on losing a football game “We didn’t lose, we just ran out of time”.
- Accept temporary setbacks and obstacles as the inevitable price to pay for any great success in life.
Maximum Achievement – 12 Step Goal Setting System
- Desire – Burning, Intense, Desire. The motivational force of power to overcome the fear or inertia that holds most people back. Dwell on your desires till they override and push aside your fears. Desires are personal, decide what YOU really want !
- Belief – Conviction ! You must absolutely believe it is possible to achieve your goal. You must have complete faith that you desire the goal and it will come to you exactly when you are ready for it. Nurture your faith and beliefs until they deepen to an absolute conviction that your goal is attainable. Belief is the catalyst to activate your subconscious.
- Write It Down – Goals that are not in writing are not goals at all they are merely wishes. When you write a goal down you crystallise it and make it tangible.
- Make a list of all the ways you will benefit from achieving the goal – Reasons why are forces that intensify your desire. Motivation depends on your motive and the more reasons you have the more motivated you will be. Your reasons why must be uplifting and inspiring, they must be big enough to drive you onward. It is when you have big reasons for achieving your goal that you develop the intensity and purpose that makes you irresistible. If your reasons are big enough, your beliefs solid enough and your desires intense enough nothing can stop you.
- Analyse your starting point – Determining your starting point gives you a baseline to measure your progress and lets you know exactly how much you have to do to achieve. The clearer you are about where you are coming from the more likely you will be to get where you want to go.
- Set a deadline – Set a deadline on all tangible goals. People resist setting deadlines for fear of not meeting them.Think about your goal by projecting forward till after you have completed it and imagine the steps you took to get there. Then think backwards from the achievement to the goal.
- Make a list of all the obstacles that stand between you and the achievement of your goal – If there are no obstacles it is probably not a goal and more likely an activity. Make a list of obstacles then arrange them in order of biggest to smallest. The biggest obstacle is your rock. You will need to remove this first. Obstacles are the flip side of success and achievement. Your rock may be internal or external – Be honest !
- Identify the Additional information you will need to achieve your goal – The most successful people have more essential information than others. Make a list of all the information, skills, talents, abilities and experience will need then make a plan to learn, buy, borrow or attain these as quick as possible.
- Make a list of all the people who’s help and co-operation you will require – TO accomplish anything worthwhile you will need other people, people will help you accomplish your goals once you have shown them a willingness to help achieve theirs. Make a list and order it !
- Make a plan – Write out in detail what you want, when you want it , why you want it then make a list of activities ordered by priority. Many activities can be worked on simultaneously or others have to be done in sequence. Once you have all the actions listed in value for the plan, then START! The more detailed and better organised your plans the more likely you are to reach your goals exactly as you have desired them.
- Visualisation -Create a clear mental picture of your goal as it would appear if it was already achieved. Project this picture over and over again in the screen of your mind, with emotion !
- Make the decision in advance that you will never give up ! – Back your goals and plans with persistence and determination. Never consider the possibility of failure. Never think about quitting, hold on no matter what happens of all qualities to develop your ability to persevere is the most important.
- Mark each day with an accomplishment of some kind !
- Accept the powers of your super conscious mind!
- Learn from every experience, refuse to get upset, keep your mind calm and focused on your goals.
How to bring all the powers of the superconscious mind to bear on a single issue
- Define the problem or goal clearly. Preferably in writing. Exactly what is it you want to achieve, exactly what is the problem ?
- Gather as much information as you can, do research ask questions, actively seek the answer you need.
- Consciously try to solve the problem by reviewing all the information you have gathered.
- If you still have not solved the problem consciously then turn it over to your super conscious mind. The way you would a balloon and let it float away.
- Get your conscious mind busy elsewhere. Turn you attention away. and let your super conscious mind take care of your problem for you.
- Great way to raise an objection is to put it into the mouth of an imaginary third person e.g. “What would our customers think if they knew that” or “Wouldn’t someone in this position think this” etc.
- Express appreciation
- Express approval
- Correct in private, praise in public.
- Active listening.
- Practice the art of conversation!
Overall It’s a great book on goal setting and achievment from Brian Tracy.
Subscribe To My Newsletter
Sign up for my newsletter and receive occasional updates on my articles, podcasts and videos and receive a link to my guide which lists the top 5 habits to start a martial artist's day.